Gerald is currently a TD for Louth and East Meath.
- Appointed to Dáil Public Accounts Committee, April 2012
- Appointed to Dáil Committee on Foreign Affairs and Trade, Novemeber 2011
- Appointed to Dáil Committee on Environment, Transport, Culture and the Gaeltacht, June 2011
- Elected vice chairman of Labour Parliamentary Party, March 2011.
- Elected TD for Louth and East Meath, Febraury 2011
- Elected Deputy Mayor of Drogheda, June 2010
- Contested the General Election, May 2007
- Mayor of Drogheda (2004-05)
- Re-elected to Drogheda Borough Council and Louth County Council (2004, and 2009)
- First elected to Drogheda Corporation (West Gate Ward)1999;
- Co-Opted, Louth County Council (Drogheda West) 2002;
- Former Chairperson, UCD Labour Party;
- Former National Secretary, Labour Youth;
- Former Secretary, Association of Labour Councillors (1999 - 2003);
- Member, Labour Party General Council (1997 – 1999).
- Public relations/campaign consultant
- Member of Board of Upstate Theatre Company
- Director, Drogheda Youth Development
- Director, Calipo Theatre and Picture Company
- Member of the Local Government Ant-Poverty Network Planning Group
- Member of Board of Droichead Arts Centre
- Member of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ)
- Director, ADL Wider Horizons
- Patron, Drogheda Animal Rescue Centre
- Delegate, General Council of County Councils
- Former Political Assistant to Derek McDowell, T.D.
- Former Company Manager, Upstate Theatre Project, Drogheda.
- Former teacher, St. Oliver’s CC, Drogheda
- Drogheda, 1975
- St. Joseph’s CBS, Drogheda;
- Hons. BA in Politics & History, University College, Dublin;
- Boston College, MASS, United States of America.